Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Live Long & Prosper

What a week! Poor Rob. He is such a trooper. Can I just tell you how lame it is not to be able to breathe? In two words: it sucks.

Early Sunday morning, Rob woke up and started coughing. He couldn't stop coughing. He then couldn't breathe because he was coughing, then he couldn't catch his breath. Then he turned a lovely shade of purple. {I really do like the color; however, on a person, it is really not the best.} We did all that we were taught to do: more liquid drug, try to breathe slowly. Finally, after about 30 minutes of that, he calmed down. That was really a terrifying experience.

Rob's hospice nurse stopped by today. She took his oxygen level. It was at 78% {Rob swears it was 87%; however, he is doped up, so I hardly think that he is an expert on remembering things.} He started using oxygen whilst sleeping when he got pneumonia last month. Barb (nurse) told Rob that he needs to start wearing it all the time. If he is just sitting around not moving and decides to take a break, he may. His heart rate whilst resting is 100 bpm. When he moves from one side of the house to another (about 30 feet), it increases to about 120 bpm - this is like running up a hill for some of us. When I say that he moves, it is like a 99 year-old's steps. Slow and steady. He is EXHAUSTED all the time. Rob was wondering if this was because of the increase of his drugs. No. It is because his heart is having to work so much more than yours or mine. That is what lack of oxygen will do to you. Too bad we do not live in the age of Star Trek and they cannot run a medical tricorder over him and fix up his lungs. {We love Star Trek - in case you didn't know. Live long and prosper.}

Barb told me that I might want to think about working less and spending more time with Rob at home. My fantastic co-workers, Penny and Erin met with me today and we went over all of my job responsibilities and what they can do in my periodic absence. I spoke to my boss, Brent, and explained what was going on. He was 100% on-board with helping me do what I needed to do to support my family. I have such amazing friends that are so supportive and kind and caring.

Last summer Rob worked on some new sculptures and was able to get them fired. He was excited to get them back. When he feels better he is looking forward to finishing them. 

I had the best conversation with a friend of mine. Amy stopped by my desk yesterday and said that over the weekend she thought a lot about me. I asked her why. She said it was because of the beautiful warm weather. Huh?? I wondered what that had to do with me. I asked. She said it was 'because of my stupid blog.' At this point I am trying to figure out what I wrote...

"What did I write?" I asked.

"Well, you wrote that you told Rob he cannot die until the weather is warm. The weather is warm now. You now need to tell him he cannot die until the winter because of how great you look in wool."

That was so funny! I asked her if I could share our conversation. She said yes and that she was happy it was snowing yesterday.

Warning: this is a little more information than you probably want to know...Barb ordered a commode (toilet) for Rob to keep in our room. I believe I mentioned that he has a bladder the size of a walnut. He is constantly getting up in the middle of the night either to urinate or to have a coughing attack. Because his oxygen level is so low, she really doesn't want him walking the ridiculously short distance from our bed to the bathroom. Rob has told the kids that when it is their week to clean the bathroom, they will be in charge of emptying his "bathroom." They didn't think that was funny. At all. I thought it was hilarious.

3 comments:

Mom Fin said...

Wow! When I was the age of your children I was in charge of emptying the "pot" when it was used in our upstairs. They don't even have anything to complain about!! I could tell you stories. I think Amy is awesome to think of the commode. You do have alot of people that think of you and your family. We are so grateful for the time we have had together.
Love you all......

Tarali said...

Better the commode...than the diaper.... just sayin'... it could be worse kids!

Shan said...

We think of you almost every day!!! I am on Spring Break this week...can I come help with anything? PLEASE let me know!!! Don't want to intrude, but want to help if I can! Love you all!!!!! Thanks for the update!