Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Dessert

Dr. Collins just came in at 4:45 pm. Because of the radiation and past surgery scaring it was a very hard surgery. He sat down and looked exhausted. He wanted to know how we were (I think that we looked exhausted!). I asked him how he was - he looked worse than us. He kind of freaked us out, actually.

The first thing out of his mouth was, "It was a difficult case and he lost a lot of blood."

One of the fears was that the spot by the heart was cancer. Dr. Collins found that it was not. He said that Mother Nature gave him a scare. The bronchial tube had adhered to his chest wall (from the scaring, maybe?). So the good news is, what we thought was cancer in that spot, is not.

He took a bunch of nodules out that looked benign and sent them to pathology - they look atypical likely due to the radiation (thanks a lot, Tarali!).

The middle lobe was removed along with the nasty cancer (which looks contained). Last time, it was it was protruding out out of his lower lobe.

He took a sampling of the upper bronchial tree and at first look, it looks cancer free. YAY!!!

Rob and I had a difficult time deciding whether to have the surgery at LDS Hospital or here at Intermountain Medical Center. Dr. Collins said that it really was a good thing that it was done here. He had to use some instrumentation that is not available at LDSH. In fact, he had to pull some tools from his cardiac kit during the operation.

We tried to ask Dr. Collins about how long he would be in the ICU. He said that we are not allowed to ask questions that begin with "how long or what if." That was just the bit of comic relief that we needed.

We will receive a full path report in two to three days to confirm everything.

All I can say is that I am so grateful for modern medicine and prayers (miracles do happen). This is what we were praying for.

Noah (six) has been very worried that I would have to find him a new Daddy. Good thing that I don't have to do that yet. Tarali still wants me to find a new uncle (for him). : )

There are still a lot of unanswered questions. (Keep praying, please!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They called us about 15 minutes ago to let us go back and see him.

Ironically, when we walked in, the television was on. The program was "House." Tarali asked Rob, "You didn't get enough of the operating room, you have to watch it here?"

My Mom followed with: "That's in case they got the diagnosis wrong." You know how smart that Dr. House is (the drug addict doctor!)!

He looks so good. (Last time, he was gray and really out of it.) He was pink and responsive and in no pain! He was able to talk and answer questions. Our family will be taking turns over the next few days to visit him during his 'vacation' in the ICU.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. It sounds like Rob will soon be on the mend. Heaven is smiling on you.

joyce said...

Hi Jessica and Rob! You have been in my prayers all weekend. You are a beautiful family! I send my love and more prayers! Love, Joyce Morgan

Stefanie and Jeff said...

Jessica
I am so happy for you guys! That sounds like some great news!

Penny said...

So glad to hear this news. I hope things continue to go well and move forward. Many at the office are concerned and checking in through the day. Know that our prayers are with you~

Chelle said...

Thank you so much for the great updates. We are pulling for you guys and send our love!

I'm the Mom said...

Thanks for the update,and we are so glad that so far so great.
Anita and Rick

Rich said...

We are so glad that everything went well!

MOAB said...

Congratulations! I'll keep you in my prayers!

Monica said...

Congratulations! That is great news. You guys are still in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

Awesome news guys. We've been praying hard for your family. Stay strong Rob.

Erik and Wendy

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the updates. I am so grateful that so far things look good. You all will continue to be in my prayers and those of many others. There is a sign in my home which says, "EXPECT MIRACLES". I'm a believer. All my best, Aunt Linda

Anonymous said...

Good to hear (read) that everything went well so far. Looking forward to more good news the next days and weeks.
All the best wishes from Germany!!!

Martin R.

Anonymous said...

Jessica - This is such good news! I am thrilled for you! Love, Bonnie

Anonymous said...

I liked Linda's saying, "EXPECT MIRACLES". And, when we get them we are "GREATFUL".

XOXOXO Ilene

Marci said...

So glad things are going well! And that surgery was better this time! Take care!

Anonymous said...

Shawn and I have appreciated the updates, and sooo relieved that it went as well as it did!!!
We'll keep praying for you guys! Poor Noah. . .poor mom what an ordeal. You are so strong hang in there, seems like your working on the down hill.
Mattie